Art Historian. Curator. Writer. Teacher.
I am a specialist in the histories of modern and contemporary sculpture, especially on its relationship to photography, design, and architecture, but am more broadly interested in the how art shapes, and is shaped by, the built environment. Current research and curatorial projects include a book length project examining the relationship between modern sculpture and architecture in America during the immediate post-WWII period, and co-curating the first major retrospective exhibition on the work of Harry Bertoia, scheduled to open at the Nasher Sculpture Center in 2019.
- Established scholar of modern and contemporary art
- strong record of research, publication, and lecturing both nationally and internationally to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Extensive professional museum and gallery experience
- exhibition development, planning, and installation
- collection research and management
- interpretation and education
- public programming
- project management.
- Skilled grant writer with experience writing successful proposals for:
- nonprofit arts organizations
- higher education
- Proficient editor and author.
- Accomplished teacher of undergraduate, graduate, and continuing education students.
- Adept at collaborating and/or managing within a team environment or working independently.
I am currently serving as a 2018 Tyson Scholar at the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art in Bentonvile, Arkansas and was the 2017-2018 George Gurney Postdoctoral Fellow at the Smithsonian American Art Museum in Washington, D.C. I am on research leave from my post as Assistant Professor of Art History at Keene State College in Keene, New Hampshire during the 2017-18 academic year. Prior to my appointment at Keene State, I was the Henry Moore Foundation Post-Doctoral Research Fellow in the School of Fine Art, History of Art and Cultural Studies at the University of Leeds. I have taught at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, the University of Michigan, and Southern Methodist University. I also have held curatorial positions at the University of Michigan Museum of Art, the Art Institute of Chicago, the Dallas Museum of Art, and the Nasher Sculpture Center.
2012, PhD, History of Art, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
2007, MA, Art History, Southern Methodist University, Dallas
2003, BA, Art (Minors in Art History, English, Religion), University of Florida, Gainesville
Association of Art Museum Curators
Association of Historians of American Art
College Art Association
Italian Art Society
Midwest Art History Society